While coating manufacturers often describe resinous liquid applied systems as USDA or FDA approved flooring or coatings, this is a misnomer the USDA and FDA provide guidelines for characteristics that must be present to pass inspection. Government Agencies cannot recommend a particular product only provide guidance on the appropriate flooring.
The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), an agency of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), describes these characteristics in the 1999 FSIS Food Code as:
The floors, floor coverings, walls, wall coverings, and ceilings shall be designed, constructed, and installed so they are smooth and easily cleanable, except that antislip floor coverings or applications may be used for safety reasons.
The U.S Food & Drug Administration (FDA) describes these characteristics in the 2017 Food Code as:
- SMOOTH, durable, and EASILY CLEANABLE for areas where FOOD ESTABLISHMENT operations are conducted;
- Closely woven and EASILY CLEANABLE carpet for carpeted areas; and
- Nonabsorbent for areas subject to moisture such as FOOD preparation areas, walk-in refrigerators, WAREWASHING areas, toilet rooms, mobile FOOD ESTABLISHMENT SERVICING AREAS, and areas subject to flushing or spray cleaning methods.
Our products comply with Federal regulations for food and beverage flooring, per the latest FSIS (USDA) and FDA directives concerning Floors, Walls, and Ceilings used in official establishments.
1. We certify that our SANI-TRED products will not result in adulteration of food products if used and applied as supplied instructions and label directions indicate.
2. SANI-TRED products will perform well under a daily regimen of rigorous cleaning, cyclical temperature change, and wet conditions.
3. All SANI-TRED products are impervious to moisture, completely water-proof, and are not water soluble. Water has no effect on these cured materials even in the presence of standing water on a raw edge.
4. SANI-TRED products are light colored, and these light colors are solid colors not intended to obscure detection of debris or unsanitary conditions. The properly installed SANI-TRED surface may even be sterilized due to it's monolithic non-porous nature in either smooth or textured installations.
5. After application and cure, these products become solid polyurethanes that will not decompose, deteriorate, eject, emit or otherwise exude residuals in either a liquid, solid or gas form, and contains no known carcinogens, mutagens, teratogens, classified as hazardous substances, heavy metals, or other toxic substances.
6. None of our SANI-TRED products are not considered a pesticide, they do not have pesticidal characteristics and does not manufacture or distribute pesticides of any kind.
We will provide to FSIS (USDA), FDA, or other regulating agencies, in a timely manner on request, the complete chemical compositions of the materials used to manufacture SANI-TRED products.