Have you heard the term rat slab from other homeowners and wondered what it was. A rat slab or mud slab is as simple as it sounds. It is a thin slab made of non-structural concrete that is poured over your crawl space’s dirt floor. This layer is impermeable and prevents mice and rats from entering your crawlspace through the foundation wall. When combined with other protection measures for your home, a rat slab is an effective method for many homeowners.
But a rat slab offers more than keeping rats away: It helps to keep out wood-destroying pests like termites. It can prevent rodents or other animals from entering your crawlspace and under your home. It makes crawlspaces more sanitary, more resistant to moisture, and easier to navigate (contractors will thank you).
The ideal thickness for the rat slabs
The thickness of a rat slab is a balance between cost and longevity. Traditional structural crawl space rat slabs may be four inches or more but are costly. On the other hand, very thin slabs, for instance, one inch, are prone to cracks over time. The suggested thickness of a slab for an animal proof crawl space is a minimum of 2 inches so that it will last without taking you over your budget.
Benefits of Rat Slabs
- Less Ongoing Maintenance – A typical rat slab will require a one-time expense from the homeowner. There are no ongoing maintenance fees.
- Clean Crawl Space – By covering the crawl space in concrete and a vapor barrier, you keep the crawl space and the entire foundation area clean—no need for costly crawl space cleaning or mold remediation.
- Prevent Mold & Fungus – Excessive moisture levels in the crawl area can lead to mold and other problems. A rat slab reduces moisture levels and thus prevents mold growth. The structural integrity of the foundation can also be affected by moisture issues.
- Increase Indoor Air Quality – Clean crawl space, control moisture problems, prevent mold and other fungus growth improve indoor air quality.
- Decrease crawl area flooding – Concrete slabs combined with plastic vapor barriers can help prevent flooding, moisture, and water-related damage.
- Increase Energy Efficiency– Crawl Space Encapsulation (plastic, concrete) improves energy efficiency. This can save homeowners hundreds of dollars on cooling or heating costs.
- Warm Environment in Winter -Crawl Spaces can be sealed and insulated to increase energy efficiency and keep the home warm.
- Home Value Appreciation – A Rat Slab can increase your home’s value when you decide to sell. These protective measures give home buyers confidence that the living conditions in the crawl space and home are safe. There are fewer concerns about moisture, foundation issues, or pests.
- Pest Infestation – Simple dirt crawlspaces create an environment that allows pests, rats, and other vermin to live in the crawl space. As a result, pest infestations are a significant concern for homeowners. As the name indicates, Rat Slabs protect crawl spaces, and prevent pest infestations.
- Reduced Radon Exposure – A Rat Slab combined with a vapor barrier can prevent radon gas from entering the crawl space. Thus, providing a safer home for your family.
Rat slab installation can be a worthwhile investment for your home. Since it can protect your home from pests, as well as help with mold and mildew. If you care about the longevity and safety of your home, then a Rat Slab might be an option you should consider.
The SANI-TRED waterproofing system can be used to permanently waterproof a variety of construction substrates, including concrete and wood. Eliminate water, mold, mildew, and radon with SANI-TRED.