What is an Elastomeric Roof Coating?
Most types of elastomeric roof coating are classified as having both weatherproof and waterproof properties. Elastomeric roof sealers are typically polymeric products, which create a seal when they are applied to a roof. They are effective in sealing roof leaks and preventing existing damage from worsening. Since they are durable and versatile in their abilities, they can be applied to the roof during any season. The components form a strong bond, which means that the finished product forms a type of membrane across the roof. Since roofs usually have drains, pipes or other protruding pieces, it is important to spray around them. When the coating goes around these objects, it becomes one surface for maximum durability and water resistance.
As the name implies, elastomeric coating has elastic properties. Since this elastomeric sealer can flex, it does not crack easily. Some forms have special properties and can stretch as much as 600%. Other types of coatings for roofing may crack or chip when the weather changes. Some types of coatings have added benefits. For example, there is a type of elastomeric coating that is supposed to help buildings stay cooler. Many people like this form of coating and can paint over it if they wish. According to some experts, elastomeric coatings can last a long time or a lifetime with proper maintenance. This includes reapplying a coating every 15 to 20 years and sealing any damaged areas as necessary.
There are four main types of elastomeric coating.
This substance is ideal for low-sloping roofs and flat roofs. It is a good vapor barrier, and it has the ability to withstand strong water force.
This is one of the most long-lasting materials for a roof coating. It is more environmentally efficient than some coatings. Acrylic is best for roofs with high and multiple slopes.
For those who have EPDM rubber roofs, this is the ideal choice for waterproofing and sealing leaks. Since it does not require special PH rinses and is versatile, it is a good choice for single-ply roofs.
For polyurethane foam roofs, this is the best coating component. It can repair some types of weathering, and it can easily be reapplied over prior coats of silicone.
How to Apply Elastomeric Roof Coating
The easy application adds to the long list of benefits for this coating. Many types of products can be applied with a sprayer or a roller. These are the steps on how to apply elastomeric roof coating.
- Clean the roof thoroughly. Discard any large pieces of debris. Use a broom or blower to move the rest of the dirt and debris off the roof. After this, use a power washer to clean the roof. Wait until it dries to proceed.
- Make any necessary repairs. There may be spots on the roof that need patching. Look for blisters, cracks and other problem areas to repair. An acrylic roof sealant is a good solution for this step. For better results, use a trowel or roof brush to apply patching compound.
- Apply the elastomeric roof coating. First, carefully read the directions on the coating product. Make sure that it is ideal for the roof’s material and slope. There are two ways to apply coating, and it is important to choose a product that fits individual needs. Some products can be rolled onto the roof. Others are applied with a spraying device. In some home improvement stores, it may be possible to rent a sprayer instead of paying full price to buy one. A roller is usually a cheaper option.
Before applying elastomeric roof coating, watch some DIY videos online. It is always better to watch several videos to gain extra insights and to thoroughly understand how to apply elastomeric roof coating. When using a roller, be sure to maintain a wet edge at all times. Work from one side of the outer part of the roof, inward and toward the other side. Use the same pattern with a sprayer. Be sure to carefully seal any pipe edges or other roof fixtures.
Tips for Applying Elastomeric Roof Coating
Keeping the previous steps in mind, these are some helpful tips to make the application process go smoothly:
- If possible, apply the elastomeric roof coating on a sunny day.
- Pick a day that is nice but not too hot.
- When using a roller, use a brush for finer details and around roof fixtures.
- If the roof is severely damaged, hire a professional to patch it first.
Lastly, be sure to stay off the roof until the elastomeric roof coating is cured. It should dry within a day or so. However, it may take up to a week to be fully cured in perfect weather. If it rains a few days after the elastomeric paint for roof is applied, the moisture will not ruin it. Continuously wet weather could slow the curing process for up to a few weeks. To be safe, plan on staying off the roof for a month.
The SANI-TRED Solution
SANI-TRED is a permanent waterproof roof coating that can be applied as an elastomeric product because it bonds to plywood, concrete, metal, and more. SANI-TRED provides excellent performance with 590% permanent elongation. Learn more about using SANI-TRED for your Roof coating or repair project.