Symptoms of Toxic Black Mold Exposure

Black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum) is a toxic mold that can lead to severe complications and the long-term effects of black mold lead to long-lasting health problems. It is not as commonly found as other household molds. It can still be found indoors and appears as a greenish black mass. It will feel slimy and wet to touch and will appear powdery. This fungi thrives on substances that are high in cellulose such as paper, gypsum board, lint, fiberboard, and wood.

Mold spores travel through air and thrive on surfaces that have moisture. They can be in homes and offices and schools without anyone knowing about the existence of the mold, which is why it is important to know the symptoms of black mold exposure. The latest research has found connections between long term exposure to mold and a diverse range of health problems for which we did not know the causes before. There are a variety of diseases and long term effects of black mold that are caused by fungi.

Long Term Effects Include:

  • Respiratory infections
  • Bronchitis (lung infection)
  • Balkan nephropathy (disorder of the kidney)
  • Reye’s syndrome (causes brain and liver swelling)
  • Hepatocellular carcinoma (cancer in the cells of the liver)
  • Kashin-Beck disease (disease of the joints and bones)

Black mold, especially is up to 40 times more toxic if inhaled than if ingested. Even if the black mold in the environment is not releasing toxins actively, people are still in danger.

Side effects of black mold exposure include:

  • Cold and flu
  • Headaches
  • Sore throat
  • Memory loss
  • Muscle aches
  • Fatigue
  • Autoimmmune disease
  • Rashes and dermatitis
  • Asthma
  • Nosebleeds
  • Pulmonary hemorrhage
  • Disease that is similar to emphysema
  • There are possibilities that SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) can be caused by long-term exposure to black mold.
  • In infants, some of the health effects of black mold include vomiting and diarrhea.

In fact, mold can be far more lethal than even heavy metals when there is exposure. Fungi can mutate rapidly and sidetrack your immune system, while also preventing your immune system from working, which is a deadly double-pronged approach.

People who are already having sensitivities and allergies will be even more susceptible to mold and have more severe symptoms of black mold exposure. If a person smells mold, it can directly impact the brain, so sinusitis caused by mold can even cause brain infections that are serious.

If caught early, mold exposure can be treated effectively. For this, it is important to know what black mold exposure symptoms are. Knowing these signs and symptoms of mold exposure and looking out for them can be potentially lifesaving. If these mold toxicity symptoms are identified, it would be best to see a physician immediately and get the environment cleaned to eliminate all toxic black mold.

These black mold exposure symptoms are:

  • Fits of sneezing
  • Irritation of the eyes, such as water, red, or itchy eyes
  • Cough
  • Irritation of the throat
  • Chest tightness
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Wheezing
  • Stuffy nose
  • Skin irritation

In infants, the symptoms of mold toxicity are related to the respiratory system, which could be a cough or a wheeze that does not go away, no matter what the treatment.

The SANI-TRED Solution Stop Mold at The Source

Mold and mildew need water to grow, and SANI-TRED stops mold before it can start by permanently waterproofing your basement. The waterproofing solution trusted by over 100,000 customers. We offer mini sample packs with a Double Your Money Back Guarantee. Our Products our 99% effective at preventing harmful Radon Gas from entering foundations.
Our products are safe, solvent free, non-flammable, and low VOC. We provide detailed instructions and phone support to apply our products like a pro. Product comes with a lifetime warranty call 1-866-784-3308 or visit to learn more.

Remove Mold With Vital Oxide

SANI-TRED sells Vital Oxide a Mold-Mildew Killer, Disinfectant Cleaner & Odor Remover is great for everyday disinfecting and sanitizing in the kitchen and bathroom, quick clean-ups, and spot treatment. Vital Oxide is super effective at killing mold, mildew, bacteria, and viruses and eliminating odor in homes, offices, facilities, and other environments. Essential for homes with children and pets. Kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses, kills fungus, mold, and mildew at the source and inhibits growth, sanitizes 99.999% of bacteria on food-contact surfaces with no rinse required, and eliminates odor at a molecular level, not by masking with fragrance.

Learn more about Vital Oxide

Shopping Cart

Questions? Call Our Experts